Danielle Beckstrom for LDS Living 29 Jan 2015
1. How many New Testament accounts are there of the miracles Jesus performed? a. 36 b. 22 c. 27 d. 29
Answer: a. 36. These are divided into 5 different types of miracles: 1) Power over the elements, 2) Healing of the sick, 3) Casting out devils, 4) Causing the blind to see and the deaf to hear, and 5) Raising the Dead
2. How many fish did Peter and the six other disciples catch when the resurrected Christ told them to cast their nets again at the Sea of Galilee? a. 79 b. 87 c. 153 d. 164
Answer: c. 153. Unlike the first miraculous catch of fish (recorded in Luke 5:1-11), this time the nets did not break, allowing the disciples to count the number of fishes caught. Read about the event in John 21:8-11.
3. Who was the first woman Jesus healed? a. Mary Magdalene b. Simon Peter’s mother-in-law, c. the woman with an issue of blood, d. the woman with an infirmity for 18 years
Answer: b. Simon Peter’s mother-in-law. On this same Sabbath day, in addition to healing Simon Peter’s mother-in-law, Jesus also taught in the synagogue, cast out a devil, and at sunset healed and cast out devils from a large crowd (see Mark 1:21-34, Matthew 8:14-17, Luke 4:33-41).
4. How many people did Christ raise from the dead in the New Testament? a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4
Answer: c. 3. The son of the widow of Nain, the daughter of Jairus and Lazarus. (Remember, Christ himself was resurrected, which is different than being raised from the dead.)
5. What was the last miracle Jesus performed before His death and resurrection? a. He cursed a fig tree b. He healed ten lepers c. He healed a servant of the high priest d. He healed a blind man.
Answer: c. He healed a servant of the high priest. Peter, in an attempt to protect Jesus, cut off the ear of the high priest’s servant. Jesus straightway healed him (see Luke 22:50-51 and John 18:10). The servant’s name was Malchus.
6. How many loaves of bread and fishes did Christ us to feed the 5,000? a. 5 loaves, 2 fishes b. 7 loaves, a few fishes c. 7 loaves, 2 fishes d. 5 loaves, a few fishes
Answer: a. 5 loaves and 2 fishes. This astounding feat is the only miracle besides the Resurrection that appears in all four Gospels (see Mark 6:32-44, John 6:1-14, Matthew 14:13-21 and Luke 9:10-17).
7. How many “baskets full” were left over after Christ fed the 4,000? a. 3 b. 12 c. 10 d. 7
Answer: d. 7. This number is thought to be symbolic—seven and seventy were numbers sometimes associated with the Gentile nations. The number seven, taken together with the placement of this miracle in Gentile territory (the eastern shore near Galilee), might represent how all peoples were called to feast at the table of Christ.
8. How many of Christ’s miracles in the New Testament involved fish? a. 3 b. 4 c. 5 d. 6
Answer: c. 5. 1) The disciples’ first astonishing catch of fish, 2) feeding of the 5,000 with 2 fish, 3) feeding the 4,000 with a few fish, 4) obtaining the temple tax with a fish’s mouth and 5) the disciples’ second astonishing catch of fishes.
9. How many miracles involve Christ casting out devils? a. 3 b. 4 c. 5 d. 6
Answer: d. 6. 1) The Capernaum demonic, 2) the Gadrene demonic, 3) the mute demonic, 4) the blind and mute demonic, 5) the daughter of the Syrophoenician woman and 6) the demonic or epileptic boy.